Genevieve Memorial Breast Cancer Recovery Grant
History of the Grant
Genevieve credited her quick recovery from surgery to a two night stay at a hospitality house near her home, The Clara McLean House, in Pinehurst, N.C. www.firsthealth.org/clara-mclean-house . She was the very first person to stay there. She regained strength to return to her two small daughters and the rigors of running a household - and fighting cancer - creating lasting relationships with the incredibly warm and supportive staff that continue with the charity today.
Genevieve hoped to help others have the same opportunity. She is the reason why The Genevieve Memorial Breast Cancer Recovery Grant was created.
Criteria of the Grant
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a mother first diagnosed with breast cancer at age 40 or younger.
- You are caring for at least one child under the age of 18.
- You will use the Grant to extend or enhance recovery from breast cancer treatments, including the start of treatment, a respite during treatment, at the end of treatment, or following other circumstances affecting treatment.
Provisions of the Grant
- Genevieve’s Helping Hands will arrange and pay for a mutually agreed upon location to apply the grant, for example, staying at a hotel following a mastectomy
- The Grant period will cover up to a three night stay for the recipient, one caretaker, and a stipend for meals and other necessities
- Genevieve’s Helping Hands will assume responsibility only for arranging and paying for the bills associated with the agreed upon location and other stipulations of the grant.
- Changes in dates can be made due to unforeseen circumstances, for example, change of surgery date.
Process of the Grant
- Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt. Medical verification
- Applications will be reviewed by the Grant Selection Committee first. Based on their review, they will make recommendations to the Board of Directors, who will vote to award the Grant and set its details.
- The application process includes an interview and verification of treatment from a member of the applicants medical team.
- The applicant will have an opportunity to explain her need and intended use of the grant, including approximate dates and any extenuating circumstances
- After approving a grant, Genevieve’s Helping Hands will make the arrangements and pay for them directly to the agreed upon location, at the mutually agreed upon location and date, and will provide the stipend in the form of a gift card.
Mail or e-mail Completed Application to:
Genevieve's Helping Hands, Inc.
c/o Anne Rickmeyer
263 Division Ave
Hicksville, NY 11801
e-mail to: email@example.com
Questions: Call 516-500-3702