Genevieve Memorial Breast Cancer Recovery Grant
History of the Grant
Genevieve credited her quick recovery from surgery to a 3 day/2 night stay at a hospitality house near her home, The Clara Mclean House in Pinehurst, N.C. She was the very first person to stay there. She regained her strength there to return to her two small daughters and the rigors of running a household and fighting cancer. She created lasting relationships with the incredibly warm and supportive staff that continue with the charity today.
Genevieve hoped to help others have the same opportunity. She is the reason why The Genevieve Memorial Breast Cancer Recovery Grant was created.
Criteria of the Grant
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a mother first diagnosed with breast cancer at age 40 or younger.
- You are caring for at least one child under the age of 18.
- You will use the Grant to extend or enhance recovery from any breast cancer treatment at any stage, as a respite if Stage IV, or for other circumstances affecting treatment and recovery.
Provisions of the Grant
- Genevieve’s Helping Hands will arrange and pay for a mutually agreed upon location to apply the Grant, for example, staying at a hotel following a mastectomy
- The Grant period will cover up to a three day/night stay for the recipient, one caretaker, and a stipend for meals, gas, and othernecessities
- Genevieve’s Helping Hands will assume responsibility only for arranging and paying for the bills associated with the agreed upon location and other stipulations of the grant.
- Changes in dates can be made due to unforeseen circumstances, for example, change of surgery date.
Process of the Grant
- Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Grant Selection Committee first. Based on their review, they will make recommendations to the Board of Directors, who will vote to award the Grant and set its details.
- The application process includes an interview and verification of treatment from a member of the applicant's medical team.
- The applicant will have an opportunity to explain her need and intended use of the grant, including approximate dates and any extenuating circumstances
- After approving a grant, Genevieve’s Helping Hands will make the arrangements and pay for them directly to the agreed upon location, at the mutually agreed upon location and date, and will provide the stipend in the form of a gift card.
Mail or E-mail Completed Application to:
Genevieve's Helping Hands,
263 Division Ave
Hicksville, NY 11801
E-mail to: email@example.com
Questions: Call 516-500-3702